Thursday, May 14, 2020

Lemony Baking in the time of COVID - Lemon Brownies




I was looking on the to make a new  easy dessert recipes to because while my banana cake recipe is easy and delicious I needed to mix it up a little bit and expand my repertoire.  After all you can't live on bananas alone. I went to my pantry and surprisingly did not a find a box of brownie mix.  Not to be defeated I went to the internet and searched on brownies.  

During my search, I found a Lemon Brownie recipe. At first I was a little skeptical about this recipe.  I mean in my book brownies are chocolate or I will even goes as far as to concede that blonde brownies might fit the brownie category.  But Lemon Brownies to me were not Brownies. The thing is I love the flavor of lemon cake and it is after all Spring so I put my prejudices aside and tried Making the the lemon brownie recipe below.


INGREDIENTS

FOR THE BROWNIES:

  • 1/2 cup salted butter (softened)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • zest of 1/2 lemon
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon  baking powder

FOR THE GLAZE:

  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • zest of 1/2 lemon

INSTRUCTIONS


  • Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare an 8x8" pan by spraying with cooking spray or lining with foil, and set aside.
  • In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, sugar, and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition, then add the lemon juice. Add the flour and baking powder, and mix until just combined.
  • Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth into an even layer. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the brownies comes out clean. Let cool for 10-15 minutes.
  • To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest, then pour over the brownies, spreading evenly to coat. Let cool completely before slicing and serving.

The verdict is in.  The lemon "brownies" tasted great however, they still don't fit the brownie description.  That should not stop you from making and eating them.  The stay at home restriction may be eased soon and I am thinking a picnic in a park with my family.  This would be dessert.

I would love to know what category you would put this recipe in; cake, brownie, bar?

No comments:

Post a Comment