Monday, May 4, 2020

Breakfast in the time of COVID Blueberry waffles





My friend gave me a waffle maker that is incredibly under used. It was this past Sunday morning.  I decided to break away from my daily breakfast of a slice of light wheat toast (45 calories) and a scrambled egg.  Instead I thought I would make Blueberry Waffles.  I figured if I added blueberries then eating a waffle was not quite as bad.  Yes it has a lot of carbs but it also has fruit.  That is how I rationalized eating them in my head. 

I went online to look at the many waffle recipes.  I have to admit there were some great recipes. The problem  was that there were a lot of ingredients in all of them and I wasn't up for the challenge. 

Then I looked in my pantry and realized  I had a box of Krusteaz Belgian Waffle Mix unopened.  When I bought the box I had every intention of trying the mix with the waffle maker but it just sat there until this past weekend.

When I read the instructions, there were 4 ingredients; the mix, water, eggs and oil.  That sealed the deal.  I made the mix added my blueberries and I had waffles for breakfast.  Maybe next time I will actually make them from scratch The recipe on this website looked really good.

The waffles turned out pretty good.  The problem with making waffles is the cleanup.  Now I remember why a did not make waffles on a regular basis.  Aside from the calorie count the cleanup is arduous especially if you add fruit. 

Oh and about the extra calories, I rode my exercise bicycle for 30 minutes and walked extra steps.  My FIt Bit keeps me honest.  After all, we are in the middle of the COVID pandemic and you have to treat yourself to a little something right?  Well that's my story and I am sticking to it.

Hope you treat yourself to something delicious.  Next week I am thinking banana pancakes. 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment