Saturday, May 16, 2020

Bread in the time of COVID Let's use beer





In case you hadn't noticed, yeast is extremely hard to find in the grocery stores these days. That is why I decided to make beer bread.  The recipe is very simple. There are three ingredients with the beer providing the yeast to allow the bread to rise.  There is no kneading and the bread is ready in 45 minutes. 

If your house is like mine, there is always beer in the fridge.  I mean how can you have Poker night without beer, even if it is a virtual game?

The taste of the bread is influenced by the type of beer you use.  I used a Sam Adams lager which is a full bodied beer.  There was a little bit of an after taste.  If you are a beer lover this should be no problem .  I am not a big beer lover so I plan to make this bread again with a milder beer.

You can also add other ingredients which is what I did.  I add fresh rosemary.  I think it added a little something something. I think next time  I might add dried herbs and some cheddar.  

To my foodie friends, Go Wild!! Let me know what you come up with. Here is the recipe.

3 cups self rising flour
1- 12 ounce beer at room temperature
1/4 cup of sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9 x 5 loaf pan

2.  In a large bowl combine all the ingredients.  Pour mix into the loaf pan

3.  Bake for 45 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean




Hope you enjoyed yesterday's post about a brewery in New York  delivering by Doggie Delivery.

2 comments:

  1. Your beer bread looks amazing. I'll have to get some self rising flour and give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you got a chance to make the bread. I have gotten some very positive feed back from this recipe. Here are a couple of tips. Don't over stir it. Make sure you preheat the oven before starting on the bread and put it in the oven as soon as you are done mixing. A lighter type beer like Millers or Millers light is the best if you don't want an after taste from the beer. If you do like the beer taste use a lager like Sam Adams. I think I might try to make it with Sam Adams pale ale. Definitely try adding fresh rosemary to the bread.

    ReplyDelete