Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Baking in the time of COVID 3 - Melted Butter Pecan Ice Cream Cake



It seems the  COVID virus has awakened my sweet tooth because I have suddenly started to bake a lot. Maybe it is just the stress.  Normally when I am stressed I bake bread to release the stress.  There is nothing like kneading dough but as you all know yeast is very hard to find making yeast bread hard to make. 

In a recent post, I shared a recipe for beer bread.  Beer bread uses the yeast found in beer to assist with the rising process and self rising flour so no additional yeast is needed.  Please see my post if you want to make the bread.

I am a kitchen gadget and cookbook fan.  I have become addicted to In the Kitchen with David that airs on QVC on Sundays. It is entertaining and I have picked up a number of gadgets that I I love.  I will share them with you at a later time.


Around the holiday last year I picked up the cookbook Comfort Food Shortcuts.  since I am a really bad baker and don't like recipes with lots of ingredients,  the Melted Ice Cream cake really appealed to me. The name of the cake is really Melted Strawberry Ice Cream Cake, but  I am not a fan of strawberry ice cream so I chose to use Butter Pecan and a yellow cake instead. 

It was yummy and so I thought I would share the recipe with you. Basically as long as you use the same amount of each ingredient, you can swap the cake mix and or/ the ice cream or both and make your own creation.  I was thinking of going seasonal and maybe try peach ice cream with a yellow cake. 

Unfortunately, QVC no longer has this cookbook available but if you want it here is the link on Amazon.

Cake                                                           Glaze

1 box strawberry cake mix                             1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
2 cups melted strawberry ice cream                4 teaspoons milk
3 large eggs                                                  Fresh strawberries to garnish

Preheat the oven to 350

Generously coat a Bundt pan with vegetable spray. 

Mix all the ingredients with an electric mixer at medium speed until batter is well blended.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool on wire rack.

Invert cake onto a plate.

Mix all the ingredients for the glaze together in a small bowl.

When the cake is completely cool, pour the glaze on the cake.  You can serve it with a scoop of the remaining ice cream or just eat it alone.

Hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment