Monday, May 11, 2020

What the World Needs Now is Love in the time of COVID







This is the link to What the World needs Now Is Love sung by some pretty great people. I is similar to We Are the World  released in 1985.  It is not a new video either but I think it is very relevant to this time during the COVID Pandemic where love and acts of kindness are conveyed from 6 feet away. 

This pandemic has people so stressed out that some are forgetting how to act toward each other.  Before COVID I used to love waking up early to do my food shopping.  It was quiet and don't tell the Giant but I use to power walk the store before I actually shopped.  Sometimes I saw some friends there doing the same thing, shopping before the crowd.  It was relaxing.  It was peaceful.

Now I hate going to the grocery store even though it is the only outing I have unless I go into work.  The stores have arrows on the floor directing you which way to go.  The first time they added these arrows I went down the aisle the wrong way.  I got chewed out by a store associate and this older couple. I apologized but they kept grumbling about following the arrows. I promise to do better.

But there are plenty of nice people.  I am 5 feet tall and needed something that was way back on an almost empty shelf.  This lovely 6 foot tall  man stopped and help me reaching up and getting what I needed.  He just did it. When I asked this other person where he found the English muffins in his cart since I was unable to find that brand, he said that he had taken the last two but he gladly offered to give me one of his packs.  I thanked him and said I really didn't need them but how great that he offered.

I am very fortunate to work with a great team with great hearts.  We work for a health organization in End User Mobility.  We configure the phones, tablets, workstations on wheels for our hospitals and ambulatory sites. I am not exactly on the front line but I like to think that our team is helping those treating patients by providing the tools they need to do their job. It is a lot of pressure and things can literally change in minutes.  It is stressful but we all try to huddle in the morning and laugh together.

The video and the song have reminded me that I and every body else needs to show some kindness towards one another.  If a security guard some where asks you to wear your mask Just DO IT!  Think of it as you helping others from getting sick and not an inconvenience.  You can grit your teeth and bare it, not give the person doing their job a hard time and certainly don't shot them. It's crazy it happened, a security guard was shot for asking someone to wear a mask in the store. 

Listen to the music.  Show some love and kindness.  Cherish your friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment