Thursday, January 2, 2014

Wine On Tuesday




It's been a long time since I have read a book for my foodie quest.  The one where I read the book because it mentions food or in some cases beverages.  Well this book qualifies as one for my foodie series.
This book is not a book for the wine connoisseur.  It really is written to get people who are intimidated by wine more comfortable.  In other words don’t be scared to try a bottle if it looks appealing.  What is the worst that can happen, you hate the wine?  So What!  For the last several years I have been a member of a wine group.  If you have read my blog you know all about my Wine Women of West Virginia.  The great thing about this group is that everyone is up for trying something new which means the sky is the limit. 
I have found this wine store that has several people on staff who are known as the “wine doctors” because they know all the essential elements of the vine.  I go there tell them which wine I like and ask them if they have something similar and they make suggestions.  Believe me I have found some really great wines that way.  They also have wine tastings on the weekend.  What better way to discover a new wine then to taste it first.
The other thing I like to do is go browsing in a wine store.  It is almost like going browsing in a library or book store.  You all know how book titles fascinate me, same goes with wine labels.  Sometimes I will go into a wine store and pick the wine just because I like the name and the label and of course it has to be the variety I like i.e. chardonnay or malbec etc. I have picked up dome duds but I have also found some good ones.

So if one of your New Year's resolutions is to became better acquainted with wines you might want to take a look at this book.  Even if you don't have a New Year's resolution about wine the book does give some good pointers for beginners.  The whole point is pick an affordable bottle and give it a try.  Use your senses to discover the flavors hidden in the glass and just enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment