Monday, January 27, 2014

Sunday Notes on Monday




Man did we get clobbered by a snow storm this Tuesday here in the Mid Atlantic.  First they called for a few inches but changed their minds many times and it turned out to be many inches.  Luckily my office closed early and I was able to slide home.  The bad news was driving home in the snow.  The good news was a couple of extra hours to watch the snow through my family room window while reading my book.  Of course what else would I do with a couple of extra hours.

If you have been reading my blog by now you know that every Sunday I play this little game with myself. On Sunday the first section that I read of the Washington Post is the Outlook section, it contains the book section. I go to the last page and read the Washington Bestseller list. This week the bestseller list focused on paperbacks but it alternates between paperbacks and hardcover. You can check my scoring system on the May 6th post. 

 Glad to say that I reached my goal this week.   I was beginning to think I might never reach it again.  But I have read four out of the ten.  One of the books that showed up was Life After Life by Kate Atkinson which was about a woman who seemed to "come back" after dying to re-live her life with slightly different outcomes. It was a very good read, check out my post from July 10, 2013.  Just FYI it is number one  on the New York Times bestseller list as well. Another book that appeared this week was a Week in Winter by Maeve Binchey set in Ireland.  The  author died last year  so  this is her last  book. You can check out my post on June 18, 2013.  I am just finishing the book entitled The Circle which I will talk about in my post on Wednesday.  Not sure what I will pick up but when I decide you will here from me.

On a very sad note, I am so overwhelmed by what happened at Columbia Mall on Saturday.  My family and I are there often and I know that many of my friends shop there as well.  All the violence these days, so senseless.  So to the families who lost a loved one my thoughts and prayers are with you.  Have a great week.  Stay warm.  Stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment