Sunday, January 5, 2014

Eliminate the Horse Drawn Carriage form Central Park, Are you Kidding Me?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A carriage horse walks in Central Park on Dec. 22, 2013 in New York City.
I don’t usually write about politics but Michael Bloomberg is leaving office after serving as the Mayor of New York City since winning his first election in 2001 and he is a very interesting guy politically speaking.  I mean he started out as a Democrat changed to a republican and ended up as an independent. Fascinating don't you think. 
New York City's new mayor is Bill De Blasio and surprisingly enough his name happened to show up in The Washington Post's New Year's day edition.  The story was about Montgomery County Maryland's Superintendent Joshua Starr and the fact that he might have been a candidate to fill that position in New York. I have included the link below for all of you who might be interested.
One thing I can not agree with is De Blasio's campaign to eliminate the horse drawn carriages that are part of the landscape of the central park area.  I am going to state an opinion here and it is only my opinion.  I am furious that this tradition of taking a horse drawn carriage through Central Park has become someone's political agenda.  I grew up in New York those carriages are New York.  How many movies have we watched that include those horse drawn carriages?  How many tourists come and ride in them?  Are they a source of income for the city's coffers?  Do those horses look mistreated to you?  What will happen to those horses and their drivers if this new mayor gets his way.  And lastly why is it any of his business.  Isn't his job to look out for the city and the people in them.  I think he needs to concentrate on that. Surely there are many more pressing issues he can focus on besides a New York tradition.  I would greatly appreciate your comments on this issue especially all my fellow New Yorkers. So please weigh in.  Below is the link to about the carriages from the New York Times.
DeBlasio’s First Move: Carriage Horses
 
 
 

1 comment: