Friday, January 24, 2014

An Intriging Kind of cafe




I love to sit in a café.  I find it the perfect place to people watch and if I get tired of that it is a great place to zone out with a good book. You feel less isolated reading there because you are usually surrounded by people.  I took a Japanese Management Class at the University of Maryland.  The professor taught the entire class with classical music playing in the background.  Why?  Because he said that studies showed that the brain was more active and was better able to focus with the music on in the background.  So in addition to taking a most interesting class, I learned the art of selectively tuning out background noise.  Now I can sit and focus on my work even if there are other things going on around me.  This is most helpful at work since I share an office with three other people and people are constantly walking in and out.  I can sooo block them out. 
I am sure that many of you have heard of Panera's.  There is one near my house and I really enjoy sitting there with a cup of coffee and a bagel reading my book.  But from morning through lunch time it is usaually pretty crowded and I feel guilty sitting at a table while others are looking for one and I am really not contributing to the cafe's bottom line.  I am sure this happens at many cafes.
That is why I found this article so intriguing.  There is a cafe that does not charge you for the food you buy but rather by the amount of time you spend there.  The coffee and nibblies are there for your enjoyment.  The cost is about .05 a minute and allows you to sit there guilt free becuase in fact you are paying for every minute you are there.  So let's do the math shall we; 60 minutes times .05 turns out that is $3.00.  I am not great at math but I think the answer is $3.00 and to me that is money well spent.  It will be interesting to know if this business model succeeds.  Also not mentioned in the article was how good the coffee is. That is somewhat important or maybe not if you are just looking to get out and find a nice place to read or work or hang.

Follow the link below to read about it.


http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-reviews/ziferblat-london-cafe-charge-by-minute

No comments:

Post a Comment