Monday, January 13, 2014

Sunday Notes on Monday



Was it cold enough for you this week? I got into my car and the thermometer read 6 degrees.  Brrrrrrrrrrrr. However it did warm up to 16 and I did have my faithful puffer coat to keep me warm.  Truth be told I am more of a cold weather person anyway.  I don't mind layering up and I do like snow just not to drive in.

I was on a staycation this week which could not have come at a better time. I just needed some R and R.  I did read a couple of good books which I will share with you on my blog so stay tuned.

If you have been reading my blog by now you know that every Sunday I play this little game with myself. On Sunday the first section that I read of the Washington Post is the Outlook section, it contains the book section. I go to the last page and read the Washington Bestseller list. This week the bestseller list focused on paperbacks but it alternates between paperbacks and hardcover. You can check my scoring system on the May 6th post.  Sadly this week I did not reach my goal having only read two books on the list.

I found the bestseller list suprising this week. In the top four spots were romance novels none of which I have read and I am not really planning to add these particular ones onto my list.  I will be blogging about a fun book which can definietly be classified as a romance novel.  It had a fun story line, the characters had A LOT of chemistry between them and it had a happy ending.  Another Lifetime movie possibility. The name of the book, Big Girl Panties. So look for my post on that one.

One of the books I am finishing up and will post on is The First Phone Call from Heaven. I keep trying to wonder what my reaction would be if I received a phone call from a loved one who had died.  I think I would like to talk to my Grandmother.  The book is by Mitch Albom. I have read several of his books including Tuesdays with Morrie and Five People You Meet in Heaven.  I had enjoyed both these books and so when I saw this one I thought why not.

On Wednesday I will  be posting a book from my foodie sereis called The Cake Mix Doctor. I loved this book because the main ingredient in each of the recipes is a cake mix.  No suprise there. The good part is that you can take a boxed mix and turn it from dull to wonderous. The book is not just a book of recipes, the author talks about the history of the cake mix, why ist comes out right everytime (well almost everytime) and the science of the mix.  So it actually is a good read.  Just a warning to my book club and wine club, I will be testing some of the recipes out on you.  You are going to love it.

I did have a comment that someone who read my blog is reading the book Angela Merkel, The Authorized Biography, which I had talked about last week.  She just started the book and I hope she let's me know if it is worth reading.



     

No comments:

Post a Comment