Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Comfort foods YUM



At my recent book club meeting part of dinner was this most wonderful macaroni and cheese dish.  For those of you who have read my blog you know how much I love mac and cheese.  It is one of the ultimate comfort foods with a capital C.  This mac and cheese did not disappoint.  I thank my friend for making it, awesome!

My second favorite comfort food is grilled cheese.  Growing up I was allergic to just about everything but bread and cheese. When I was young, my Mom use to make it for me.  As I grew older she passed on the skill to me and I made it myself.  I am happy to say, I have passed on that skill to my daughter.  My theory is if you can make grilled cheese you will not starve. Most people love grilled cheese with Campbell’s Tomato soup but not me.  I liked my grilled cheese straight up.

 Growing up in New York it seemed like it snowed a lot in the winter. In fact, this winter seems to me to be more like a New York winter than any I can remember.  If schools were closed or it happen to snow on a weekend all the kids in the neighborhood would be outside building snow forts or snow people and having snowball fights.  We would dress up in many layers of clothes and be out there for hours. It was a wonder we didn’t turn into popsicles it was so cold. Such great memories!  There were a lot of kids on my block so there was always a lot going on.

 Just when I thought I couldn’t stand it anymore my Mom would call us in and there on the table waiting for us was this hot gooey grilled cheese sandwich.  As Rachel Ray would say when describing a food dish, Yum Oh.  I love her for putting that phrase on the map. Anyway there would be tomato soup also but thank god for me, I was allergic to tomato soup and was spared from eating it.  Sometimes she would make Campbell’s chicken noodle soup Mmh Mmh good.

Sometimes lunch was even more fun because my Mom made grilled cheese for my brother and I plus some of our friends from the neighborhood. In those days kids just kind of went from house to house.  Play dates were not invented yet.  Usually you would show up at a person’s home, their Mom would say call and let your Mom know where you are and it was a done deal. We set up our own “play date”.  I loved winter, still do.

I was surfing the web and found these recipes for grilled cheese.  You can find the link below.  As much as I like variation on the theme of Grilled Cheese, there is still nothing better than just having two ingredients on your sandwich, bread and cheese.   Still it is good to have some variety in your life.  Enjoy!

http://www.delish.com/recipes/cooking-recipes/grilled-cheese-tomato-soup-recipes#slide-1

No comments:

Post a Comment