Monday, June 15, 2020

Cheese and Wine the perfect Pairing





I am part of a wine club.  We call it a wine club and we have actually given ourselves a name but we are 10 women who like to get together and have fun.  

Most of the time we just drink wine or have cocktails, but every now and then we have a wine tasting.  Before this COVID pandemic interrupted our way of life, I had hosted a wine tasting.

Since the wine tasting was a Friday night after work, all my road warriors came directly to my house.  The evening was planned as follows:

Everyone arrives.  Bottles wrapped in brown paper and numbered so that no one knows who brought the bottle and what the label said. Cheese, crackers and a few other snacks brought out.  Each wine sampled and rated.  Winner declared and prizes distributed.  Sounds great right.  Actually I picked the wrong cheese.  The wine tasting was a disaster because the cheeses I had picked over powered our taste buds and the wine.  

I am hosting another wine tasting.  Our group hasn't met in months.  Thank you corona virus for nothing. It will be a different wine tasting then the others.  We will be 

I went searching for a strategy and found it in this Cheese and Wine book.

The number one rule from this book is that you want to pick cheese that will not diminish the taste of the wine.  In other words, the wine tastes as good with the cheese as without.  A more robust wine can handle cheeses with stronger tastes.

I don't know all that much about choosing wines but I do know that a heavily oaked wine can be challenging when trying to pair it with cheese.  So I decided to stay away from suggesting we taste chardonnay.  You can find a less oakey chardonnay but it can be difficult.

I am going with a Red blend.  They tend to be robust enough to hold their own but not quite as robust as a Cabernet sauvignon.  What cheeses you ask?  I will consult the book and surprise my friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment