Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Competitive Eating



The Science Behind Competitive Eating - Chowhound


I have always viewed competitive eating competitions with a mixture of awe and disgust.  It is amazing that one person can eat that much food in a small period of time and not vomit.  It's also disgusting to think that one person can eat that much, not enjoy any of it because they are eating so fast their taste buds don't even get a chance to experience the food and eat that many calories.  

The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating competition is actually televised on ESPN.  I even watched it last year when Joey Chestnut won his 12th title for eating 71 dogs and buns. He won 12 times!!!!!!  It was the first and last time I will ever watch something like that.  

Since I was already on You Tube, I decided to see what else was out there relating to overeating, I mean competitive eating.  I found this guy eating a 16 piece Popeye's Family meal in 25 minutes. That is 16 pieces of fried chicken, 3 large sides and biscuits.  Here is what is really wrong with this whole competitive eating thing.


  1. The fried chicken eating guy is so thin.  It just isn't fair to be able to eat that much and be that thin.  If I would walk into a Popeye's now and just breath in the air there I would gain 10 pounds that would go directly to my hips.
  2. He ate over 8,000 calories in 25 minutes.  I will say that again.  He ate over 8,000 calories in 25 minutes. I generally try to keep my caloric intake to 1,200 calories a day.  That means he ate as many calories in 25 minutes as I eat in 6 and 1/2 days.
  3. Lastly, can you really taste any part of chicken or the hot dogs? And how do you not vomit? I am pretty sure that to these folks taste is of little consequence. It's all about the amount and the speed. I rather eat less and enjoy more.


It makes me wonder if in this time of the COVID virus  ESPN is going to have more of this "sport"  since the Baseball season is shortened and who knows what the football and hockey season will look like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment