Thursday, June 18, 2020

Baking Ingredient Substitutions in the time of COVID





As a rule I do not stock buttermilk in my fridge.  I don't even like to buy it since I only use a cup or so in a recipe. Lately I steer clear of recipes with buttermilk because I don't want to waste it.

Same thing with cake flour.  I have so many types of flour in my pantry.  I have all purpose, self rising, wheat, so that the thought of one more flour does not make me happy nor does it make my pantry happy.

Cream of tartar is another ingredient that is annoying.  You usually use 1/4 tsp in a recipe and I usually don't make a lot of recipes calling for cream of tartar. I know it has a purpose in a recipe but I don't want to take up space on my spice rack with something I may use once a year, which by that time it probably has lost its pizzazz.

That is why I loved these kitchen hacks that suggest substitutions for items that you don't use as often when you bake.  Since we are doing so much more cooking and baking in this time of COVID, I thought you might like the substitutions as much as me.  Check out this link.

As my Nana would say waste not want not!

No comments:

Post a Comment