Sunday, June 21, 2020

Travel In the Time of COVID



My husband and I went looking for property to build a house in Lancaster county.  I have always loved the Amish country.  I feel so at peace when I am there.  On the way home we stopped at the Lancaster Central market. It is the oldest continuously running farmers market in the country, opening in 1889.  All I can say is foodie alert.

Lots of people were buying their fresh veggies, meat and bread for the week.  Most people there were locals, so you know that it must be good.

We had a decent drive ahead of us so we didn't buy any meat or produce BUT we did go to several of the bakeries in the market and picked up some amazingly delicious carb laden goodies. 

I included a picture of the sweet potato bread and the cinnamon muffin but the picture does not in any way, shape or form do the bread and muffin justice.   

I will start with the muffin.  It was huge actually ginormous. Sometimes bigger isn't better but with this muffin bigger was definitely better.  I think the secret was with the crumb topping.  You could taste the butter in brown sugar in every bite.  In addition there were big chunks of crumbs that held together well until you put it into you mouth where it melted on your tongue.  The cake part of the muffin had cinnamon and sugar running through it with just the right amount of sweetness so that the crumbs were not overwhelmed. There were tears of joy running down my face with the first bite.

 I usually don't care about muffins but this one was outstanding. I bet you all are laughing at me because of how much I loved this muffin.  That's ok, I can take it.  The muffin is so big that I took several bites and saved it.  I figure if I take two bites a day I can make it last a week.

The sweet potato bread was good as well.  Its a very dense bread with a hint of cinnamon.  It is different than any other yeast bread I have tried.  But to tell you how popular it was, we went to get a cup of coffee and there were five sweet potato breads on the table when we cam back, there was one left.  We were gone for only five minutes.

On the down side during this COVID pandemic, we stayed over night.  The hotel, a Hilton property screwed up our reservation.  I guess going several months with so few guests has them completely out of practice.  We found a place where we could order take out for dinner but it was hard eating it back at the hotel.  By the time we opened the take out container the meat, potatoes and vegetables looked like baby food.  Everything mixed together.  Not really the restaurants fault.

I think the moral of the story is if you can avoid it do not stay overnight.  Drive for the day and come home. If you are ever in Lancaster go to the central market.  You will absolutely not be disappointed. 





No comments:

Post a Comment