Saturday, June 20, 2020

The Two Lives of Lydia Bird



Unfortunately, many of us have lost love ones too soon, especially our significant others.  That is why the story lines in this book caught my interest immediately.

It is Lydia's birthday.  She is having dinner with her fiancee and some friends when he calls to tell her their friend's car broke down and he is on his way to pick him up.  She is a little annoyed and tells him not to be late, their dinner reservation was hard to get.

He promises and the next hing she knows there is a knock on the door.  Instead of being the love of her life, it is the police telling her there has been an accident.  When she arrives at the hospital, her fiancee Freddie is dead.  Their friend who was in the car has some scratches but he is fine.

Lydia can't sleep can't eat, can't cope.  The doctor prescribes little pink pills to help her sleep, but when she takes them her sleep state becomes an alternative universe. In her "asleep" life Freddie is alive.  But that life is very different from her real life and she has difficulty reconciling the two lives.  

Many people have very vivid dreams.  I know I do.  To tell the truth often my dreams are much much better than real life.  I have discussed dreams with friends, family members and colleagues and some of the dreams or nightmares they talk about can be turned into a novel.  So dreams have always been something I have been interested in.  I should keep a note pad next to my bed to write things down, but I keep forgetting.

I think the author did a great job writing about Lydia's "awake" and "asleep" life.  I couldn't put the book down. I wanted to find out how each life played out.  It is a very clever premise.  Try the book, you may enjoy it.









No comments:

Post a Comment