Monday, July 8, 2013

Sunday Notes on Monday: What's Good to read?



So if you have been reading my blog by now you know that I every Sunday I play this little game with myself. On Sunday the first section that I read of the Washington Post is the Outlook section, it contains the book section. I go to the last page and read the Washington Bestseller list. This week the bestseller list focused on Hardcover books but it alternates between paperbacks and hardcover. You can check my scoring system on the May 6th post.

Alas for the past few weeks I have not reached my goal of three out of ten books read on the Washington bestseller list.  I am sad but will not give up. It is not unusual for me to miss the mark when The Post focuses on hardcover since as a rule I wait for books to come out in paperback before I buy them. I also think  I need to change my strategy a little bit, for the rest of the summer I will read books that kind of jump out at me when I am browsing online or at the library and I will let you know what made me choose them.  Don't get me wrong I will still check the Post's list but just as a reference to add books to my list of What to Read.

This week the only book I have read on the list is Inferno which I recommend.  It is a good read. 

I was in the New Jersey area this week and I happened to pick up a copy of the Sunday New York Times.  There book section is awesome, it is an entire section dedicated to new books.  They don't just have one bestseller list they have several. It makes me wonder why the Post no longer offers this in the Sunday edition.  Do they think that people aren't reading anymore?  How sad for them.

So I picked a list, Paperback Fiction from The Times and I have read 6 out of the 25 on the list.  Not bad but not all that good either.  I hoped it would be at least 10 out of 25.  My three favorites were The Light Between Oceans, The Art Forger and the Language of Flowers.

I have finished two books this past week Life After Life and The Hit.  Look for my posts on these two books coming up soon. I will give you a quick heads up, Life After Life was one of the most fascinating reads for many reasons.  That is all I will say so come back and check.

On my reading list for this week is a romance novel The Apple Orchard. I will let you know about that one once I finish it. Not sure what other books I will read this week.  Have a great week and check back frequently for my new posts.


         

No comments:

Post a Comment