Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Foodie Wars



 

The Wagons are circling  or rather the food trucks.  There is going to be a throwdown and it has nothing to do with Bobbie Flay. On August 3rd D.C. food trucks will go head to head or bumper to bumper with food trucks from NY. I don't know but I think D.C has a shot at winning this one.  I am just saying it could be close.
This is Unlike the Pizza war everyone has been waging with the NY Pizzeriasfor years. In this case NYC clearly win.   Now I can say from years of experience that no one makes better Pizza then the New York Pizzerias. The pizza is so good that it is mouth watering hot or cold as a breakfast, lunch, or yes late night snack. 
NJ runs a close second but that is because so many great pizza makers from NY decided to leave the rat race and move to a kinder gentler place. Recently I was up that way and ordered a Pie at Antonios.  I watched as the Pizza maker molded the crust into just the right thinness.  His technique was beautiful to watch.  He pressed it out and then he threw it from hand to hand never once dropping it or creating a hole. I told him my story about trying to make my own pizza and he said to me "people think it is easy to make the perfect pizza, it's not so easy, it takes practice and patience. I make lots of pizzas all day long."  I wish I could convey his accent as he spoke. 
 His finished product was a mouth watering gastronomic feast.  The dough was exactly the right thickness, there was the perfect amount of sauce and cheese.  The sauce was delicious reaching just the right balance of tomato goodness and the cheese dripped off the pie like it should.  This is how you know you have achieved crust greatness.  The crust is not under cooked, the slice bends in your hand just right and the bottom of the slice opposite the crust has so much cheese that in order for you to eat that first bite without loosing all its goodness, you must fold it up onto the slice itself and then take the bite. 
I myself have just started to make homemade Pizza inspired by my guru of health and the wine women of west Virginia.  Crust Thickness is definitely a challenge.  I still find that in my quest to make the crust thin but not too thin I fall just a smidge short.  This past week I rolled out the dough and one part was so thin that it disintegrated  under the weight of the sauce and cheese leaving a hole. Next week I must try again and I shall! 
Anyway, This throwdown on the streets of DC will represent many ethnic foods and will be judged.  Click on the link below to go to the Washington Post and read about it.  May the best truck win
 
 
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/going-out-guide/wp/2013/07/12/who-has-better-food-trucks-d-c-or-new-york-august-throwdown-will-find-out/

No comments:

Post a Comment