Monday, July 1, 2013

Best Doughnuts in Town





Doughnuts are getting a lot of press lately.  The Washington Post has been writing about doughnuts in the food section and the article below is the culmination of all the data they have accumulated on this sweet subject.  I would have loved volunteering for this particular assignment since the doughnut is practically a food group to me right alongside the cupcake.

My love for doughnuts started at a very young age.  Occasionally when my Mom would go shopping she would pick up some Jane Parker doughnuts at the A & P.  Mom usually only shopped at Waldbaums but she would pop in to the A& P if she need to pick up some thing from the dry cleaners.  My Dad loved these doughnuts so she would get them for him.  They were cake doughnuts and came in four flavors, plain, cinnamon sugar, powdered sugar and chocolate covered. My personal favorite were the cinnamon, my Dad's the powdered and my Mom and my brother would vie for the chocolate covered ones.  Thank goodness for the variety pack.

While my motto is any doughnut is a good doughnut, I haven't really explored the Washington DC doughnut scene.   That is mostly because I don't want to get addicted to any so I stick with Dunkin Doughnuts or Shoppers if I really want one bad but I try to make this purchase rare due to the high caloric contents of these yummy confections.  Both are perfectly acceptable options to satisfy a donut craving although I wonder if any of you have noticed that the Dunkin Donut has gotten a little smaller than it use to be or is that just me? Thanks to the Washington Post for this great information.

The above photo goes with the article below from the Washington Post.  Enjoy!


http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/and-the-best-doughnut-in-dc-is-/2013/06/25/c7cc1276-d91b-11e2-a9f2-42ee3912ae0e_story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment