Thursday, July 25, 2013

Hot Fun in the Summertime





This past week our air conditioner broke.  Of course it was the hottest days of the summer and it reminded me of my childhood.  We lived in an older house that did not have air conditioning.  I heard a gasp.  I know it is hard to believe.  I do remember it was really really hot and that is when I decided I was a cold weather person.  You can layer up when you are cold but there is just so many layers to be removed when you are hot before you are in your birthday suit.
Even though I had to deal with the heat, there were still some great memories. One of the things I remember about summer was going to Nunley's Amusement park in Baldwin, NY. Usually one of the Dad's would round us up and take us there.  It was Mom's time off. When we got older we went by ourselves.

Nunley's was on Sunrise Highway and it was owned and operated by William Nunley.  It was opened from 1939 to 1995.  That is a long time.  It had a fortune teller similar to the one that was seen in the movie Big with Tom Hanks.  I am sure you all agree that was a really great movie.  Aside from the rides there was an arcade with one of my favorite games Skee Ball.

When I was little the ferris wheel that you see in the picture above was so large or so I thought so at the time.  Looking at it now I realize it was tiny.  That still didn't take away from the fact that if it stopped and you were at the very top it was thrilling.   But my very favorite thing in the whole park was the carousel.  It was beautiful.  All the horses looked majestic and beautifully painted.  I tried never to ride the same horse twice but I did have a weakness for the ones that had roses along their mane.  And I remember there was one lion.  I could never figure out why the designer of the carousel put a lion on the merry go round at all but  I guess it gave it character.

As with so many things Nunley's is gone but the memories will always live on. Check out this you tube video.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5WagXjQLVY




So beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment