Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Aviator's Wife




Historical fiction is a very interesting genre of writing.  The author writes the book incorporating factual information on the subject but takes greater liberties with dialogue and the interactions of the characters. The word embellishment comes to mind.

The Aviator’s Wife is the perfect example. The book is written about Charles and Anne Lindbergh. They met in 1927.  Anne's father was a self made success story who had just become Ambassador to Mexico.  Lindbergh had been the first solo pilot to cross the Atlantic and land in Paris.  He was adored.  He saw Anne and it seems he asked her to marry him not because he loved her but because he thought she would make a good partner for him.  And she did.

I found the period of time that the book covers extremely interesting.  My Grandmother was born at the turn of the century and when you think about that, Lindbergh was just three years younger.  So both of them grew up in a world where the telephone was invented and becoming more available to people in their homes, electricity was more commonplace and air travel was a possibility.  The sky was truly the limit.  Think how crowded the sky is now and how empty it use to be.  My Grandmother saw more changes than I will ever know.  Even though we have seen technological advances that does not compare with the automobile, airplane or travelling in  space.  I use to love to sit and listen to my Grandmother talk about the world she grew up in, I could picture it in my mind.

In my opinion and it seems like the authors as well, Lindbergh was not a great husband.  Anne was a pretty talented woman.  One of the things I did not know about her is that she was an excellent pilot.  I did however know she was an author so I will probably read one of her books that talks about her life and marriage to get what I hope is a more accurate account. 

If you like historical fiction, than give this book a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment