Saturday, August 17, 2013

Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls




I am a big fan of the Harry Potter books and movies. Just a reminder owls play a minor role .  After all who can forget the Weasley’s owl that would fly into windows and not necessarily an open one?  My favorite mail delivery by an owl was the howler sent to Ron after he stole the car in The Chamber of Secrets.  I really thought the contents were a hoot.  Get it a hoot!  So I guess you can say I became vaguely interested in owls because of Harry Potter or J.K. Rowling whichever.
As I have said in previous blogs, book titles fascinate me.  I always wonder if I were to write a book what would I call it and would it make sense.  Would it capture the meaning of the book?  I don't know, I guess you will all have to wait to read my book. 
When I saw the title of This book I immediately became curious.  Curious enough so that I decided to read the book.  The book is a collection of essays.  I have read collections before, Nora Ephron and Tina Fey immediately come to mind.  I loved their collections but this collection not so much.  I think the problem was I just didn't like his biting and maybe a little bitter writing.  He definitely has issues with his father which perhaps he has come a long way in dealing with them.  But I just can't see why he would use this title for this collection.  I just am not feeling the connection but that is just me.  If you read the book and liked it please leave a comment.  If you have read this author and liked some of his other works then please leave a comment.  It just wasn't my cup of tea.

2 comments:

  1. Susan, try "me speak pretty someday" or something like that by Sedaris. Maybe the biting humor still won't satisfy, but I thought it was a riot. He's quite good to listen to as a recorded book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the suggestion. I will put your suggestion on my reading list. Obviously many people like his books after all he is on the bestseller list. I guess the title just threw me off. I had different expectations and I guess his humor is different than mine as well



    ReplyDelete