Tuesday, October 1, 2013

An Apple A Day Keeps the Doctor Away or so the saying goes





An Apple a day keeps the doctor away was not the original version of this saying. The original version allegedly, was from a Welsh folk proverb (1866)" 'Eat an apple on going to bed, And you'll keep the doctor from earning his bread.'.  I am all for keeping the doctor away. 
Personally I have always believed in this saying and I think I have further proof of its validity.  This past week my husband had major surgery.  Pain meds as many of you might know wreck havoc on the digestive system so I added a fresh apple twice a day to his diet.  I could do that since I was bringing the tray to his bed.  He willingly ate them and bing bang boom no more problems. 
Coincidently, I found an article in the Washington Post that  talks about the health benefits of apples.  There is also a link for recipes containing apples.  One that caught my eye but is not the healthiest of recipes was Apple Black Walnut Pudding.  I would plan to serve it for the holidays when everyone is in a merry mood.  This would certainly lift their spirits further.  I imagine it would work on someone who just had surgery as well but for now I am sticking with the more healthy version, just a plain old yummy apple.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/apples-really-can-help-keep-the-doctor-away/2013/09/24/f35837ba-1c84-11e3-8685-5021e0c41964_story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment