Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Bone Bed




This is my first Patricia Cornwell novel.  I know, I am as surprised about this fact as you. The Bone Bed is the 20th novel in the Kay Scarpetta series. Now for all of you like me who are not familiar with Patricia Cornwell novels the main character is a medical examiner.  I enjoyed the book for two reasons.  One I love forensic aspect of the book.  I really believe while the body can no longer physically talk to you through a voice it still is able to communicate in death if you listen well enough. And two Kay is a lot like the character Temperance in the show Bones and I do enjoy that show.

The novel starts out with Kay receiving an email with a picture of an ear belonging to a researcher in Canada who has mysteriously disappeared after discovering a Bone Bed.  A Bone bed is a geological deposit that contains bones.  A big find if you are an anthropologist.  This email arrives on the day she is suppose to be testifying in a big murder trial.  On this very same day she is called out to a crime scene where a woman is found dead in the Boston Bay close to Logan Airport.  Removing the body from the water without damaging it or any of the evidence with the body is as big of a challenge to Kay as discovering how she died.  Throw one more body of a man who at first appeared to have died because he was drunk and fell down his steps into the mix.  And guess what some how all these deaths are related.  I didn't believe it myself but yes they all the deaths seem to have something in common. 

Because I did not read books one through nineteen of this series I feel like I missed a lot of the back story of the main characters but all in all I though it was a good crime novel. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment