Monday, October 21, 2013

Sunday Notes on Monday



So if you have been reading my blog by now you know that  every Sunday I play this little game with myself. On Sunday the first section that I read of the Washington Post is the Outlook section, it contains the book section. I go to the last page and read the Washington Bestseller list. This week the bestseller list focused on Paperbacks but it alternates between paperbacks and hardcover. You can check my scoring system on the May 6th post.

I hit the jackpot this week.  I have read 5 out of the 10 books on the paperback bestseller list in the Post.  One of the books is Ender's Game and if you haven't read it yet,you might want to give it a try. In case you haven't seen the ads that are starting to pop up, the movie is going to be released in November.  I don't know about you but if the book is a bestseller, I like to read the book first because most of the time Hollywood takes liberties with the author's story and it is not quite as good as the actually book. Often the changes made in the movie are annoying but I guess it helps with ticket sales.  Maybe I should restate that it does not play out like the written version.

So this week I read The Rosie Project.  I started out thinking are you kidding me but the male character grew on me and the book actually turned out better than I expected. Actually it was quite humorous due to the cluelessness of one of the main characters. The other book  I read which was fascinating was the World Without Us.  The premise being what would happen to the earth if humans no longer were around.  You would think a book such as this would be dull but it really wasn't.

This week I plan to read another book in my foodie series Meet Me at the Cupcake CafĂ©: a Novel with recipes.  Maybe it will be worth it just to find a good cupcake recipe.  You know how I love cupcakes. 

One book that seems interesting that I have added to my list is The Circle about a woman hired to work for a top Internet Company. I also might added The Racketeer to the list since it is number one on the paperback list.  I haven't read a Grisham novel in a long time.  He also has another book that sounds interesting Sycamore Row. That's it for now  Happy reading. 

For more information on these books please click on the books below

         

No comments:

Post a Comment