Sunday, May 5, 2013

Your Backyard Herb Garden




Your Backyard Herb Garden: A Gardener's Guide to Growing Over 50 Herbs Plus How to Use Them in Cooking, Crafts, Companion Planting and More

My motto is you can never grow too much Basil.  During the summer months I am a Basil fanatic.  Until last year all I grew was Basil.  But this year I am breaking out of my Basil rut.  Don’t get me wrong, I am still a Basil fanatic and I still plan to plant a lot of Basil but in addition to Basil I plan on growing Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano and Lavender.  I am also thinking cilantro since I love salsa.

I like this book because it talks about growing herbs as well as cooking with them and it gives good advice like start small and choosing herbs that you will use. It also has a very handy chart I think the herbs I have chosen are definitely ones that I will use. Let’s start with Basil, yum, pesto, pesto, and pesto. Pasta and Pesto.  Pesto and Pasta.  It just rolls off the tongue.  It’s like peanut butter and jelly. It is my go to meal in the summer.  Throw in some grape tomatoes and you have a great quick and easy dinner.  I make chicken, ho hum.  Not is the summer, marinate chicken in some olive oil, with kosher salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme than throw that on the grill.  Again, a great dinner.  And that same marinade tastes good on zucchini or eggplant.

And just lately I have started making my own pizza having had lessons from the pizza master (you know who you are).  Fresh Basil, fresh tomatoes, fresh mushrooms on a fresh pizza crust!  OMG. Divine.  And I can assure you my foodie friends and West Virginia Wine Women have sooooo many better recipes than I.

Alas I have a limited repertoire when it comes to finely seasoned dishes and so I am hoping this book expands my knowledge and helps me create wondrous culinary delights. There are sections on drying and freezing herbs meaning I might be able to create my new found dishes during the winter.  Ah Lovely!

 I will get back to you on that one

No comments:

Post a Comment