Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Joys of Jams, Jellies and other Sweet Preserves



.
This year I have decided to make jam.  Don't ask me why.  I was walking in the supermarket near my office and there was the pectin and the ball jars.  Oh yes and of course the fruit.  The strawberries are delish this year.  I was at my book club meeting and mentioned that I was preparing myself for this undertaking and I got solid encouragement.  Thank you ladies.  Thus the book.  I need guidance on water baths and recipes.  There is definitely a technique for this type of cooking and I hope I get it! 

I am thinking strawberry preserves and if that works I will try peach and marmalade. This book contains lots of recipes and tips on how to can.  I hope I am up for the challenge. 

 If I get really ambitious I will try apple butter.  I have made apple butter before and I have to say it was a big disappointment.  It came out more like apple sauce than apple butter.  If anyone has a great and easy recipe for apple butter I am all ears.  I will keep you posted on the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment