Monday, May 6, 2013

Sunday Notes on Monday




 

Sunday Notes on Monday

 
Because I read so much, I am always curious about what other people are reading. Needless to say when I am talking to friends and acquaintances I unusually spend a few minutes talking about books. Last night was no exception. My husband and I were having dinner with our close friends and she brought up a book. I can guarantee you this, the book she suggested is now on my list and I will let you know about it in my blog after I read it. 
I have started to play this little game with myself. Every Sunday the first section that I read of the Washington Post is the Outlook section, it contains the book section. I go to the last page and read the Washington Bestseller list. This week the bestseller list focused on paperbacks but it alternates between paperbacks and hardcover. 

The top ten books are spotlighted in each category, fiction and non-fiction. The rules of my game are to have read 30% of the books on the fiction list, ten are listed. So I get one point per book and I give myself a bonus point for each book after the 3 and I get a bonus point if I read any of the non-fiction. I guess it is just my way of checking to see if I am in touch with what other people are reading. 

Let me clarify one thing as I step onto my soap box to make my point. Sometimes when I read the list I get really ticked off because it seems that the top books are written by the same authors over and over again. Don't get me wrong I like a lot of these authors but it just makes me mad that the publishing industry is sticking to publishing safe choices and may be missing out on some really great new authors. Publishers step out of your comfort zones! Give the new guys and gals a chance. I think that is why many authors who are struggling to get published are using different avenues to get their works published i.e. Amazon.com. One further comment on this game, if I don't reach my goal I try to look at what I have been reading lately. Many times I find that I am reading things that are a little older or not so mainstream and then I pat myself on the back and say good for you. There are other books in the world and just because they are not on the bestseller list SO WHAT! I will now get off my soap box. 

Anyway the results from my game this week are that I have read three out of the top ten paperbacks. They are The Great Gatsby, number 1(every High School Student during the time I was in High School read that book and saw the movie with the then Heart throb Robert Redford), The Forgotten, number 3 and Beautiful Ruins, number 6.  And just an FYI, Beautiful Ruins will appear on my blog next Saturday, May 11th. This week I earned a bonus point because I have read one of the books on the non-fiction list Wild:  From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail.  My blog on this book was published April 4th, you may want to check it out.




All in all I did ok.  So stay tuned for the results of my Sunday game next Monday.  Have a great week.


    





 

No comments:

Post a Comment