Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The iWatch is Coming! Should I buy it? I am not Sure.



I want to make a full disclosure.  I do not own an iPhone or an iPad and I don't feel deprived.  My whole family has apple everything but not me. I have a Samsung Galaxy and I love it. I have a tablet and I love it. At work my job is to support android devices.  We have a lot of them/  My day goes by quickly.  My husband thinks I am nuts that I use no apple products and we actually have arguments about it.  I will not be bullied.
Now the apple iWatch is about to be released.  I love watches and I have quite a collection but I will not be buying an iWatch at least not when they are first released.

The main reason is because the iWatch is not a stand -alone product.  You need an iphone for it to work.  I am not ready to buy an iPhone  to have my watch work.  That is not to say I would never buy an iPhone and an iWatch but the apps on the watch would have to blow me away for me to purchase them both. There is also the question of whether  when I  an app  for the watch will I  have to purchase  the phone version of the app as well.  In other words would I have to pay twice for the same App.

The cost of the watch is interesting as well.  There will be several versions and the cost will range from $350 to $10,000 or more.  The $10,000 model will be 18 carat gold.  I sure hope so.

For me there is one more consideration, the size. For me this may be the deal breaker. Even if I got the bigger size of 1.65 inches I think it would still be too small for me to use the apps.  I am not sure that would bother everyone but for those of us who wear glasses to see close this could be an obstacle to using the watch to its fullest potential.
The last thing I worry about is battery life.  Will it get me through my day? I sure don't have time to charge a watch during the day and my days are long.
All that being said, I look forward to  the iWatch release.  I hope it lives up to the hype.  Since Apple reinvented itself it has only had hits.  I like seeing companies succeed. Let's see what happens with this product.

No comments:

Post a Comment