Monday, June 2, 2014

Sunday Notes on Monday




So by now if you have been reading my blog  you know that every Sunday I play this little game with myself. On Sunday one of the first sections that I read of the Washington Post is the Outlook section. It contains the book section. I go to the last page and read the Washington Bestseller list. This week the bestseller list focused on paperbacks but it alternates between paperbacks and hardcover. You can check my scoring system on the May 6, 2013 post. Oh joy!  I have read half the books on the list with Inferno by Dan Brown and Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn sitting in the one and two position respectively.  Sadly I do not feel as content as I usually do because the paperback bestseller list has changed very little therefore my score is a little less meaningful.

I did read two books that I enjoyed this week.  Garlic and Sapphires a non-fiction pick and The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry.   Garlic and Sapphires was a humorous but straight forward look at the life of the former food critic for the New York Times.  She provided insight into a world of dining that often is frequented by only the elite.  Her quest to review restaurants led her to create many characters so that she remained undetected by the restaurants she set out to review. Growing up right outside of New York City I found the book a delight to read.  This book has been around for awhile and if you haven't read it you may consider putting it on your list.  The author has just published a novel entitled "Delicious" and I have added it to my summer reading list so I will keep you posted.


       

No comments:

Post a Comment