Thursday, June 5, 2014

An Interesting Opinion re Amazon




I must admit I was and still am a little worried that Amazon owns The Washington Post.  I read or at least glance at the Post every day.  I think the Post is well written but I worry that the longer Amazon owns the paper the more influence it will have on the paper.  I have seen firsthand when a large business comes in and buys a smaller one.  At first it is business as usual so everyone is lulled into a false sense of security and "sameness".  But gradually things start changing.  Key positions are filled with company "men" and policies start to change.  After awhile the company once known is no longer there.  It is like the Borg on Star Trek say "Resistance is Futile".

It will be interesting to see how the power play that Amazon is using with the publisher Hachette will play out.  I was reading this article in The New York Times and thought I would share it with you.  It is actually from the opinion page.




://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/31/opinion/how-book-publishers-can-beat-amazon.html

No comments:

Post a Comment