Tuesday, June 17, 2014

If I Were a Rich Man





I grew up right outside New York City.  No one ever called it New York City or Manhattan it was just the city.  It is like Celine Dion.  You just need to say Celine and everyone know who it is.  Both my parents loved the theater and their love rubbed off on myself and my brother.  Every year my Mom would say what do you want for your birthday and I would reply, to see a show on Broadway.  There was no hesitation  and it never grew old.  I think I was eight or nine when they first started taking me into the city and I fell in love with Broadway at first site.

One of the very first shows I saw was Fiddler on the Roof.  The original cast had come and gone but years later when I looked at the playbill (which I saved for the longest time) I noticed that I had seen the show with the Divine Miss M, Bette Midler herself.  She was playing the role of Tzeitel. What a great voice.  Years later for another birthday my husband bought me tickets to see her live and she was amazing. 

It is hard to believe that the show is turning fifty. Given the opportunity I would see it again but only  live onstage.  The movie was ok but the stage version was the best
For those of you who are interested I am sharing a link to a story that was in The Washington Post.


http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/50th-anniversary-of-fiddler-on-the-roof-reunites-tevyes-many-daughters/2014/06/12/cd909860-f122-11e3-bf76-447a5df6411f_story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment