Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Chase



I was reading the book Cell by Robin Cook when I passed this book in the library.  I couldn't resist.  I had read Evanovich's Stephanie Plum Novels and I had read The Heist which was the first on in the Fox and O'Hare series and I was ready for some humor.  So I temporarily put down Cell promising myself I would get back to it lickety split. 

The book delivered on humor.  This is another collaboration between Lee Goldberg and Evanovich and it practically screams make me into a movie.  When I read books that actually scream that I try to cast it in my head.  I am sure many of you out there do the same.  Before I cast it, however, let me tell you just a little about the book.  And I mean just a little because I don't want to take out the fun of reading it.  Nicholas Fox is a con man.  He s the whole package, good looking, well educated, street smart and a risk taker.  He runs elaborate cons.  Kate O'Hare is an FBI agent and she is after Nick with a vengeance.  She even caught him but the FBI stepped in and offered Nick a proposition work with the FBI or go to jail.  Guess which one Nick took.

The job assigned to Kate and Nick is a winner.  It is right up Nick's alley and Kate is finding that it is exciting as well.  Who knew?  The cast of characters are a riot as well.  To do the con they hire an actor. This character who had me laughing.  He just got fired from playing a pancake in a commercial.  Seems he felt the script wasn't realistic enough.  How a hugh pancake in someone's kitchen is realistic I will never know but he was determined to make it real.  Anyway it kind of made me think of the Character Daniel in Mrs. Doubtfire who kept having difficulty doing his work as an actor when he was doing voices and got fired or Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie who had the reputation of being difficult to work with and therefore found himself out of work.  A lot. So maybe one of those two guys can play that part.  I am thinking Matt Bomer from White Collar or Henry Cavill the new superman.  Maybe Kate can be played by Stana Katic who plays Kate on Castle or Sasha Alexander who plays Maura on Rizzoli and Issles.  

Getting back to the Stephanie Plum novels, I always try to cast Morelli and Ranger.  I think they did an ok job with Morelli in One for the Money but the actor who played Ranger not quite right and I don't think Sherry Shepard was a good choice either.  That part needed someone like Queen Latifah or Jackee. It would be interesting to hear who you all would consider in the roles.   Hope you enjoy the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment