Saturday, November 9, 2013

House of Stone




I am a book whisperer if something like that even exists and I will tell you why.  Last weekend I took a much needed break to join my wonderful wine women of West Virginia in of all places why West Virginia of course. My friend opens her beautiful cabin to us and it is just the most relaxing place to be.

I happened to notice a book on her table written by Barbara Michaels.  I had read Barbara Michaels books ages ago.  Some of my favorites were A Stitch in Time and Smoke and Mirrors.  Imagine my surprise when our hostess said she actually new Barbara Michaels and had been to her house in Frederick County.  She also said that Barbara Michaels was just one of two aliases she used to write her works of fiction.  She used different names depending on the subject matter.  Sadly Barbara Mertz (the author’s real name) passed away this past summer. 

So I was saying I am a book whisperer.  Anyone who knows me or reads this blog knows I go NOWHERE without talking a book and or my kindle with me.  This weekend was no exception. I went up with one very thick book but ended up coming home with two additional books.  One is House of Stone by Barbara Michaels a mystery.  The main character is a Professor at a small college.  She stumbled upon an unknown writer at the beginning of her career that made her semi famous in the literary world and the envy of many a college professor at much better known Universities.  A bookseller acquaintance finds this manuscript and makes her aware of it.  Naturally she had to beat out all other of her colleagues to get her hands on this manuscript which not so coincidently turns out to be the very same author she had discovered.  People are jealous of her find and she starts fearing for the safety of her manuscript and her personally.   I shall say no more.  While this was not one of my favorite Barbara Michael’s novels it was still good.  And when I like an author I generally am a repeat offender/reader.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment