Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Thank Goodness for the Earl of Sandwich (Sandwiches have become a Staple in the time of COVID)




I want to thank John Montague the 4th Earl of Sandwich. Yes he had a gambling issue, but it is because of this issue that the sandwich was born.  He hated getting up from his gaming table so he asked to have something he could eat with his hands while he played and the sandwich was born. The great thing about sandwiches is there are no rules for making them.  You are the master of your creation. 

My wine club,  The Wine Women of West Virginia  has at least one meeting at a cabin in West Virginia.  It is not almost heaven, it is heaven.  Most of the ladies are amazing cooks so hiking, reading, eating and drinking are the main activities while we are there. Did I mention eating, yes I did. We do a little crafting as well.  One of amazing women prepared a brie and pear sandwich. It is an adult grilled cheese and it is simply divine. 

The secret is the bread.  You need to use a good quality whole grain bread. Wegman's and Safeway or Giant bake their whole grain breads right in the store so try one of theirs if you live close by. Even during the COVID pandemic this bread can be found in the stores. The only thing I added to this wonderful sandwich is craisins.  I think it adds a nice touch.  Maybe next time I will put craisins and walnuts.  Again no rules.

I have loved sandwiches my entire life. Growing up it was what was in your lunch box or brown bag. The microwave was not available in the cafeteria and it was too much work for me to make a salad.  My Mom made sure that both my brother and I learned to make our own lunches. Sandwiches were a quick and easy thing to make.  After all anything tastes great between two pieces of bread.

I remember one of my favorite sandwiches was a grilled cheese sandwich that could be purchased in the cafeteria in my elementary school.  They didn't actually grill the sandwich it was baked but it was so good.  In High School I was always watching my weight and my go to sandwich was iceberg lettuce on wonder bread.  It doesn't sound all that great now but it worked in High School. The best part was that it was about 160 calories.

When I found this book I was intrigued.  I mean three hundred sandwiches is a lot of sandwiches. It sure beats eating peanut butter and jelly everyday.  You peanut butter and jelly fans stop yelling at me.  I know a lot of ways to juzz up that particular favorite.  I just think there is more to life than a PB and J.

There are some good options in the book.  Some are your standards but others make you think hmm that's an interesting combination. If you need ideas you may want to check out this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment