Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Cooking in the Time of COVID (with Geoffrey Zakarian)



I have never cooked so much in my life.  Ordinarily, I cook dinner every night leaving breakfast and lunch in the hands of my family members to survive on their own. They make their own lunch or buy it at work.  With the exception of weekends, breakfast has always been a toast and coffee type of meal to be eaten while running out the door.

Things are different now.  We are home, eat all our meals here and no one is running out the door.  If I don't have to be in my office, my commute time drops from 45 minutes to less then one. I have time to indulge in scrambled eggs or if I think ahead, a crust less quiche.  

Since I have lots of leftovers, I have to be more creative in re-purposing them.  My well stocked pantry has come to my rescue.  My husband always teases me because my pantry is well, jammed.  If you are like me and like to cook you don't want to be planning on making something and go to your pantry expecting that it's there only to find out it isn't.  So I always am replenishing the pantry. Since I shop less now my pantry is even more important and these days it is not as full.

That is why I was fascinated by the book My Perfect Pantry by Chef Geoffrey Zakarian. It is a good guide.  In all honesty, I had never heard of him before, but I watch In the Kitchen with David on QVC and he has been on a lot lately.  

Zackarian has a list of 50 items that are must haves. Two items are flour and sugar. These two items fly off the shelf these days since it seems more people have time to bake, myself included. I use to just stock all purpose flour but not anymore. I have regular flour, wheat flour, and King Arthur's flour.  King Arthur's flour, by the way, makes the best pizza dough.  As for sugar, I have white, brown and confectionery sugar. Pretty typical I think.

Since I have a fairly good supply of flour I will be experimenting with quick breads.  I will let you know if I find a recipe for something other than banana bread.  I made that last week when I used up the over ripe bananas but now I am looking for an adventure.  I will keep you posted. 

I also maintain several types of marinades so when I found a large packet of thighs I went to my pantry and pulled out a great marinade and B-B-Q sauce another must have in your pantry.  My B-B-Q sauce preference is Sweet Baby Rays. I always have several bottles on hand.  I have enough cooked chicken in my freezer for awhile and each meal will taste different.

Of course he has a list of essential seasonings as well.  I don't have all his recommended seasonings because I don't cook all the dishes in his book but I do have most. I love experimenting with seasonings, it brings out my creative side.  

It would be interesting to hear what is in your pantry and if you have changed your cooking habits during these unusual times.  Please share.

Take a look at his book and see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment