Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Fault In Our Stars




I am just trying to get my thoughts together on this book. To me it was an amazing, touching book.  It had the same effect on me as the book Me Before You.  It is thought provoking and evokes emotions on so many levels. 

The book is about teens with cancer.  They live in a world where everyday may literally be their last and they handle it with such grace and dignity. The two main characters are Augustus and Hazel.  Hazel is 16 with terminal cancer. Gus  has cancer as well but he has a 75 % chance of beating it. She meets Augustus(Gus) at a support group meeting and they form a very special bond. 

People are scared of cancer, I know I am and I know how hard it is when a friend is diagnosed with cancer.  You certainly want to be their for them but it becomes hard because everything has changed. Things that you thought were fun don't seem to be that much fun anymore.  Things that you thought were important aren't so important. That is what makes Hazel and Gus so special.  The get it and they are committed to each other.

For the person with the diagnosis dealing with it is personally difficult.  You have trouble dealing with it yourself but you also worry about the people around you who you may leave behind, your Mom, your Dad, a spouse, a sibling.

This book deals with all these issues with a great mix of levity and seriousness.  All I can say is it is a must read.  One final note, I have seen the trailer for the movie based on this book and I will be going to see it,  even if it is just to see how they translated the book onto the screen.  Read it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment