Sunday, March 9, 2014

Why Mess with the Clocks?



Ordinarily I don't pay too much attention to Day light savings time.  I just remember Spring ahead and Fall back and I adjust my clocks accordingly.  It is so much better in the Fall since you gain an hour of sleep.  Or is it so much better in the Spring because you have more evening daylight hours?  I guess it is a matter of perspective.

This year is a little bit different.  My work hours are crazy and I need every hour of sleep.  I mean when you are working twelve to thirteen hour days on a the weekend you lose an hour of sleep it really hurts.

SILLY ME.  I thought day light savings was a scientific adjustment of the earth and sun rotation.  Not even  close.  One of our fore fathers, a thrifty one apparently, Benjamin Franklin was the one responsible for its birth. He commented that natural light is more cost effective than artificial light and the idea stuck.

It wasn't until World War I that the United States jumped on the band wagon in an effort to save fuel.  In 2005, George W changed the months for this time adjustment to March and November. 

I like daylight savings time.  Rather I like the extra hour of sunlight starting in early March.  I guess the time change was just a little harder this year.

I found an interesting article you may enjoy.


http://sheltonherald.com/12074/why-do-we-have-daylight-savings-time/

No comments:

Post a Comment