Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Free Range Kids


I use to laugh at my parents when they would talk about walking miles and miles to get home from school or wherever they walked.  There are many stand up comedians who have had this as part of their shtick.  You have all heard a comedian start their narration with the words "A man walks into a bar".  Less common but also part of comedians stand up routine are stories that start with "When I was your age.." Usually it goes something like this.. "You kids have it easy you only have to walk a mile to get to and from school.  When I was your age I had to walk ten miles to get to school and  we were so poor I had to share a pair of shoes with my brother." 

I grew up on Long Island in a nice quiet neighborhood and we walked to and from school.  In fact we walked too and from everywhere. I did not share shoes..  And here is the thing, we were unaccompanied minors.  That is right, no adults.  The real ironic thing is my Mom was an extreme worry wart but she did not stop us from getting places on our own.  We were very independent.  In fact when I was in Middle School I was allowed to get onto the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) and take the train into the city with friends.  No adults.  Wow what a concept!


Here in Maryland there is this couple with two children.  They live in Silver Spring a suburb of DC, a nice area.  They are trying to teach their children how to be independent and by independent I mean walking home from a park that is three blocks away. In my opinion it's a good thing to know if you want to survive in the world. 

 It just so happens that some of their neighbors disagree with their parenting methods and have called in the police and child protective services. They have been charged with unsubstantiated child neglect meaning that there is not enough evidence to support this decision. The other day they were picked up by police and then turned over to child protective services.  I think this whole thing is absolutely ridiculous. Parenting decisions are being taken away from the parents. The children appear to be happy, healthy and well loved.  The parents don't take them into the woods and leave them there with just a bible and no food or water. If it's their choice can't they give their kids some breathing room? I mean these kids are not wandering all over the neighborhood causing trouble.  Because they Now the media has dubbed these children "free range kids.  What do they think they are chickens?

I really think it is a sad world we live in when our kids can't have a small amount of freedom.  All the bad guys in the world are quietly winning.  We are so fearful that we keep our children so close.  I am guilty of this. Instead of neighbors calling 911 can't they just keep an eye on the kids to make sure they are ok?  Sort of like a community watch.  That was how it was when I was growing up. People looking out for people. 

If you have not read about this family here are some links to get you up to speed on the situation.


Children walking home ALONE!

Parents in trouble again

Parents fighting back

No comments:

Post a Comment