Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Foodies Guess Which cooks spend the most time in the Kitchen!


Image result for chef clipart


I saw this article and I thought I would share it with you The Country that cooks the most.  I would like to hear from my foodie friends and non foodie friends on how much time you actually spend in the kitchen. 

I spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  I don’t like to carry in food because it is usually high calorie, high fat food.  I make an exception on Fridays.  My husband is responsible for dinner and if he wants to bring something in then so be it. In the winter, I usually do all my food shopping on Saturday and cook ahead for the week.  I can do that because in the winter I make more comfort foods like stew, soups, chili and various chicken dishes.  I generally cook for about four or five hours.  Then it takes me about an hour to clean the kitchen.  It gets crazy in there when I cook all those dishes because I use a lot of pots, pans and bowls to prep and even though I try to clean as I go things just seem to accumulate.


During the week I come home and usually prepare salad and sides.  Depending on what I make I am probably  in the kitchen for almost an hour when you consider the time it takes to chop veggies or prepare pasta etc.  Then there is clean up.  So it does not surprise me that I meet or exceed  both the American average of 5.9 hours and the Global average of 6.5 hours.  Thankfully grilling season is here so I throw everything on the grill and that cuts my cooking time down quite a bit.

What does not surprise me is that cooks in India spend the most time, 13.2 hours.  A friend invited a group of us to her house and we "helped" her prepare several Indian dishes.  When I say help I mean we did a little prep work and grated some stuff but mostly we talked while she cooked.  She had this rhythm going and trust me you did not want to get in her way.  She was cooking a long time and we enjoyed every bit.

Hope you find the article interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment