Monday, December 1, 2014

Sunday Notes on Monday




I had a week off for Thanksgiving.  It was wonderful.  I usually am responsible for cooking the Thanksgiving feast but I did not prepare anything this year. Instead my family and I decided to do something a little different.  We went to Philadelphia.  I had been to Philly when I was in college but only for a day and most of it was spent at a conference so really that doesn't count.  We stayed at the Wyndham In the historic district and the location was great.  We were three blocks from Independence Hall, two blocks from Betsey Ross' House and for all my foodie friends eight blocks from Reading Terminal. I think you all get the picture. Public transportation is great as well.  We went to some good restaurants there which I will talk about on my other blog Trying to Cook.

After spending a few days in Philly we hopped onto I95 North to New Jersey and spent Thanksgiving day at my parents'.  Both of them were not up for cooking and for the first time ever we pre-ordered the meal from Stop and Shop.  For all of you living in Maryland the Stop and Shop folks own Giant as well.  Surprisingly the food was pretty ok.  Not as good as home made but certainly good in a pinch. Then it was home again before the holiday traffic on the weekend.

Staying in hotels gave me some time in the evening to read especially since it was snowing in Philly on Wednesday and although we braved the cold and wet to go out that evening we gave up around 8:30. We were cold, wet and tired from our day of sightseeing. As promised, I finished A Sudden Light by Garth Stein and posted my blog this past Saturday. It was very different from another one of his books that I had read,  The Art of Racing In the Rain.  I  finished two other books The Divorce Papers and Working Stiff: Two Years, 262 Bodies, and the Making of a Medical Examiner so look for those posts in the next week or so.  I enjoyed both books.

And if any of you have any leftover cranberry sauce which we did, check out the dessert recipe I found to use it up or if you don't have any leftover perhaps you should get another can or make your own.  Check out the recipe on Trying to Cook.

Not sure what I am going to read next.  Once again the number of books sitting next to my bed is huge.  So many choices.  I will keep you posted.  Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment