Monday, November 24, 2014

Sunday Notes on Monday


I was reading the Washington Post as I do every Sunday.  I always look at the bestseller list that now appears in the Outlook Section.  To my great surprise this weekend in the Arts and Style Section was the Best Books of 2014.  I was filled with excitement and with much anticipation opened up that section first.  Much to my chagrin, I have read exactly two books on their many lists: You Should Have Known and the Nixon Defense, What He Knew and When he Knew It.  Up until reading these lists I thought I picked books fairly well.   I mean I read at least one hundred or more books a year.  Sure I read my share of trashy books like the best of people  but two lousy books! Wow I am so losing my grip on reality. 

What I really want to know is what criteria they use to pick these books because I really want to learn this so I might choose better.  I sincerely mean it I want to be a better reader.  That doesn't diminish the fact that I read some really good books this year.  I guess many of them were not published in this year.  I hope so.  Maybe I will go back and check the publishing date or not.   Anyway I have added a few of these best books to my reading list.  So what if it is almost 2015 and I might not get them read this year. I guess I will make a New Year's resolution.  Try to read books that make it to the Best Books of 2015 list. Or maybe I will just continue picking them the way I pick them after all  I like what I read.

And just to let you know I am finishing up A Sudden Light which I will post this week.  I had mentioned this book last week but I am a little behind in finishing the book.  It could be because I picked up a two other books and started reading them as well.  I really shouldn't do that but I couldn't resist.  One was a really interesting book entitled Working Stiff Two Years, 262 Bodies and the Making of a Medical Examiner. The other book was what I call a fluff novel entitled Mr. Miracle, a Christmas Romance that I am reading as part of my holiday reading quest. 

I have a ton of books sitting on my nightstand and in my kindle.  Thank goodness I have taken the week of Thanksgiving off to try and gobble up all these books. I am looking forward to reading and relaxing and yes eating the wonderful turkey day meal.    So to all of you have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment