Thursday, December 26, 2013

Phyllis Richman. You go Girl!






If you are from the Washington DC area and have been around for awhile and you read the Post or if you just happen to read the Washington Post than most likely you have read or heard of Phyllis Richman.  Until 2000 she was the food critic for The Post and I remember reading her reviews. Being in the food industry at the time I looked forward to and loved her column.  If she gave a thumbs up to a restaurant than most likely that restaurant would do well.  Thumbs down, oh my not good.  I often went to check out a restaurant that she gave a good review and she pretty much was spot on. 

Recently, while reading the Washington Post I came across this article about Ms. Richman which I really loved.  In 1961 she applied to Harvard.  Harvard wrote her a letter about how she planned, as a woman to balance her time at Harvard and her family obligations. Shame on Harvard but I guess that is what women faced at the time.  It took fifty two years for Phyllis to respond.  The response was brilliant and I say GO GIRL!. What boundaries the women before us faced and to all of them I say thank you.

Follow the link below to read the article.


http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/answering-harvards-question-about-my-personal-life-52-years-later/2013/06/06/89c97e2e-c259-11e2-914f-a7aba60512a7_story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment