Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Ready Knitter One

 




My Mom loved to knit.  The house could burn down around her but if she was involved in her knitting she would not have noticed.  We gave her many nicknames like Bella Abzug after the politician, but when she was knitting we called her Madame DeFarge.

For those of you unfamiliar with Charles Dickens Tale of Two Cities, Madam DeFarge was the character who was one of the leaders during the French revolution who would watch beheadings in the square while knitting.  I always remember that being totally bizarre but memorable. 

I am a big fan of Charles Dickens and I recommend that you read a book or two of his works.  Don't start with A Christmas Carol, that would be cheating. Try Great Expectations, Little Dorritt, Oliver Twist or Tale of Two Cities. 

My Mother was bound and determined to teach me how to knit. She showed me the knit and purl stitch and a made the obligatory scarf.  Once finished I put away my knitting needles and retired from knitting.

Years later, I married and my husband being in the military was transferred to Germany.  I was fortunate to get a job with American Express Travel Gmbh and met some really great people. One of my German Colleagues would come in new sweaters all the time.  It surprised me because buying clothes in Germany at the time was pretty pricey. Also her sweaters were so different than the ones in the stores.

I finally got up enough courage and asked her where she bought them.  She told me she knit them.  That sparked my interest especially when she said one of the patterns was relatively easy.  Her words not mine.  Of course the pattern was in German but I knew enough to understand it. 

The next day I went to Kaufhof where I discovered the beautiful selection of yarn and bought enough to make the sweater.  I brought it with me to my office.  She gave me a refresher course in casting on, watched me knit and purl a row and I was on my way.  She did comment that she had never seen anyone knit the way I did.  Apparently when my Mom taught her self that was the method she used and passed it on to me. 

It took me three months to make the sweater but it came out pretty darn good.  I started another one but got bored.  I am a Gemini so it takes a lot to keep me engaged. I packed up the sweater and it never was completed.

Because of COVID I have been looking for things to do inside.  I decided that as part of my New Year Resolution I would be more creative so I decided to start to knit again.  It is a basic sweater but it's a start.  

It has been so many years since I knit that first sweater that I completely forgot everything.  Thank goodness for You Tube.  I watched how to cast on, knit a row and purl a row.  Oh and yes the "correct" way of knitting is completely different form the Flo method. But for Flo, her method worked.

Everyone should be free to create as they see fit.  I will try to keep you updated on my progress. Above is when I first started.  The picture below is where I am now.






No comments:

Post a Comment