Saturday, September 20, 2014

The Nixon Defense



Politics

I live in one of the most political cities in the world and yet I really don't enjoy the world of politics.  Actually enjoy is not the correct word.  It is more like I don't get involved in the world of politics.  I have my opinions and I absolutely vote but sometimes some of the political posturing going on in DC just seems to be BS to me.  I know a lot of you who just read this opening paragraph are shaking their heads right now.  Sorry.
Nixon/Watergate

One of the things that I do find incredibly interesting is the whole Nixon/Watergate scandal. I mean who wouldn't.  And I like millions of others, I read All The Presidents Men by Woodward and Bernstein. 

John Dean has just written a book. Dean, for those of you who do or do not know was Nixon's white house counsel which makes this book even more interesting.  He had a bird's eye view of all the happenings during the scandalous Watergate turmoil.  He was in the thick of things and ended up going to prison for his involvement.  President Nixon sure could of used Olivia Pope to help him out of the mess.  Although even she probably could not of gotten him out of the mess he got himself into or maybe it was those that surrounded him that got him into the mess.

Either way this is a fascinating story written by a guy who was in the thick of things. The basis for his writing are the infamous tapes from the white house. I can't forget the interview Nixon had with Barbara Walters when she asks him what does he regret the most about Watergate and he says not getting rid of those tapes.

I must warn you, it is not the kind of book you can sit down on the sofa and finish in an evening.  Well maybe some of you can but I needed to take notes so that I could keep all the players straight and remember who did what and when. It is a very interesting narrative of the Watergate debacle.

No comments:

Post a Comment