Sunday, June 17, 2012


Stefanie Plum Numbers Series by Janet EvanovichI have recently discovered the Stefanie Plum series written by Janet Evanovich. For all you movie goers her book One For the Money is now out on DVD. I confess I have not seen it yet but will probably rent it from Redbox. I have never been a Books-on-CD fan until one of my colleagues got me hooked. I started with Smokin’ Seventeen and worked backwards (and forwards)

Stefanie Plum works as a Bail Bond agent. She’s the one who tracks down all the guys and yes gals that skip on their court appearance. She works for……. wait for it,…. Cousin Vinnie who is a real character and a low life. She’s kind of like Dog the Bounty Hunter but not quite. Here is the real problem. She is not very good at what she does and is always getting herself into trouble. Lucky for her she has a hunky on again off again boyfriend who happens to work for the Trenton Police Department. And if that is not enough she has an interesting and sometimes sexual relationship with an ex-marine now turned Bounty hunter(he calls himself a security expert and really he is) who happens to be VERY GOOD at his job. This Bounty Hunter known as Ranger is there to watch her back as she muddles to capture her target.

In Smokin’ Seventeen Cousin Vinnie has gotten himself into a heap of trouble or should I say more trouble than usual. Bodies seem to be showing up on the construction site of his bond office. (In a previous book his bond office was blown up and he is trying to rebuild). No one is sure of who the killer is or why bodies are being left on Vinnie’s property but Stefanie seems to be a target. And that is all I am going to say about this novel.

As I said in my opening paragraph I listened to this book on a CD while I was driving to NJ. The drive went much quicker. The person who reads the Plum Novels has gotten better and better as she has moved through the series. I especially like the voices she does for Connie and Lula. When you read the dialog between the characters it is definitely not quite as humorous as when you listen to it. I actually find myself laughing.

Aside from hearing the dialog, listening to the books helps me develop pictures in my head of what the characters look like so I am constantly trying to find the right actors and actresses to play the role. That is why I am afraid to see the movie. I am not quite sure Katherine Heigel fits the bill. I can really see someone like Lisa Kudrow from her days of Friends being a more suitable choice.

So if you are planning to drive somewhere this summer consider popping this in the CD player in your car. If you have young kids consider moving it to your ipad, or any other electronic device and listening with earphones. You can also listen to it on the beach and because you do not have to wear sunglasses to protect your eyes while you listen, you will have a nice even tan.

Here is my question to you. Who would you cast as Morelli, Ranger and Stefanie? I can’t wait to hear your answers. If you saw the movie and you thought the casting was good I’d like to hear that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment