Wednesday, March 13, 2013




The Cottage at Glass Beach  by Heather Barbieri

It is time for me to start my beach read list and this is the first one, although if you have the time you can read it now. Visualize yourself sitting on a beach. For me it is on the Outer Banks.  The waves are hitting the shore and you can hear the sound of the seagulls calling to each other.  I am sitting under an umbrella and I have blocked out the world. Or maybe I am on a beach in Jamaica and someone has just brought me a fruity drink that has more rum than fruit. Yum. Blissful don’t you think?

This book is written by the same author who wrote The Lace Makers of Glenmara and while I liked that book better it is still a good story. 

Nora lived in a cottage at Glass Beach with her parents until she was five years old and the unthinkable happened, her mother disappeared. She and her Mom had been in a small boat when a storm came upon them.  When she woke she had no memories of what had happened. Nora’s father was devastated and packed them both up and moved to Boston.

Years later, when she finds out that her politician husband has been cheating on her, she returns to the cottage with her daughters. At first she is there to get away from the scandal surrounding her and her husband and to think things through. But she finds herself sifting through the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment