Saturday, March 16, 2013






I Feel Bad About My Neck and Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron

I feel bad about my neck.  No really I feel bad about my neck and I have for awhile now. This is one of the many subjects Nora Ephron talks about in her book and I agree with her.  She said that according to her dermatologist, a woman’s neck starts to go south at 43.  I don’t know why 43 is the magic number and not a milestone like 45 but that’s what she said. And here is the worst part; it can only be fixed with surgery.  Botox will not do.  I HATE SURGERY!  I HATE SURGEONS!  A very good friend of mine recently had this procedure done and she looks absolutely great.  But she is much braver then I am and once again I must state, I HATE SURGERY.  I will just have to decide how bad ly I really do feel about my neck.  Maybe I will just wear scarves or maybe I will buck up and have the surgery and while they are at it they can do liposuction and a tummy tuck oh yeah and a nose job!

Another thing she talks about is purses.  I kind of agree with her feelings about purses.  I don’t want to paraphrase her great explanation so I will just let you read it.  All I know is, I go through phases with my purse.  Sometimes I carry a small purse and sometimes a large one.  I am in my large purse phase right now.  I can always measure my stress level by my purse’s interior.  When I am really stressed out my purse is a trash bin when I am not that stressed, it is pretty darn organized.

She also talks about cooking and cookbooks.  She has actually met some cookbook authors and been influenced by them.  I remember in the 80’s I was pretty obsessed with cookbooks and cooking.  I had the time and the inclination and no kids who complained if I made something out of the ordinary calling it orphanage food which was shortened to O.F.  What do kids know anyway? Now I am too tired and uninterested in any type of experimentation.  See kids you have won.  Dinner will now be dull and boring!
There are so many topics that she covers, so many truisms about woman and getting older.

Read the book she is very insightful

4 comments:

  1. Dear Susan! Hey don't fret about your neck, look how great Diane Keaton has looked for years in her stylish turtlenecks! As far as not inspired to cook anymore, remember, you have your wine club members who just love when you try out new recipes on us!!!! And remember if given a choice, Nora would rather be alive with a droopy neck then 6 feet under! Enjoy every living breathing moment shared with family and friends, neck and all!!! Marj.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your comments. Love you wine guys. It is always fun to try out new things on you guys and if it turns out bad well then I just open up more wine.

      And you are definitely correct about Nora. I am sure she would trade the Diane Keaton turtleneck to be alive and writing.

      Delete
  2. Recently the New York Times had an article in the Sunday magazine written by her son (when she was married to Carl Bernstein - another book from that marriage!)where he wrote about her last days when she was quite ill. She had so much more to say and thought she had more time to keep writing and living, when her illness returned with a rapid downhill course. She gave us many laughs and truths through her clear vision.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments. I totally agree with you when you say she had so much more to say. What I found so interesting about her writing is that what she said made so much sense and was so relatable and humorous

    ReplyDelete