Saturday, March 9, 2013




Living History by Hillary Rodham Clinton



Oh the things she has seen. Oh the places she has been. Oh the people she has met. Hillary Rodham Clinton is a Yale law graduate, the first female chairperson of Legal Service Corporation, the first lady for eight years, a wife, a mother, a US Senator from NY, a presidential candidate and most recently Secretary of State. Actually the list of her accomplishments goes on and on.

Aptly titled Living History, Hillary Rodham Clinton seemed to be immersed in politics practically since she was born. I do exaggerate but not by much. Born in 1947 she spent her teens and twenties witnessing and participating in the politics of the 60’s and 70’s. This meant the Vietnam War and the civil rights movement, and Watergate. She has been an ardent supporter of women and children's issues. She belongs to a group of women who are identified by their first name, women such as Celine, Meryl and Kate.

 

Hillary relates in her own words the history of the United States from the 60’s through the early 2000’s and I found her take fascinating. She also takes the time to set the record straight on many issues such as White water, Ken Starr, the whole Lewinsky debacle, her relationship with her husband and much more. She gives the reader great insight into what it takes to be a first lady and how hard it was for her to take a back seat. She worked hard to fight for the causes that were important to her while trying not to put Bill’s Presidency in Jeopardy. She talks a lot about her close relationship with her daughter which I found inspiring. I am also awed by her knowledge of the law and of our constitution which has served our country well. It angers me when politicians go after the basic tenets of the constitution to serve their own agenda. I truly enjoyed this book although at times it read like “the all about me (Hillary)” book rather than a narrative on the history that she lived through but what the heck it is her book\autobiography and that is her prerogative. I am glad I read this book. I admire her more now than I did before and it certainly proves she has the experience to be the President of the United States if that is what she chooses to do. I guess you can say I am a big Hillary fan.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment