Tuesday, February 12, 2013




I Remember Nothing and Other Reflections  by Nora Ephron




I don’t understand, I am usually a pure fiction kind of girl but I am trying to open myself to different possibilities.  It sort of started when I picked up Bossy pants by Tina Fey and is continuing with this book by Nora Ephron.

Sadly Nora Ephron died in 2012 from a very nasty illness and its complications.  I am familiar with Ms Ephrons movies.  I mean who can forget the unforgettable film When Harry Met Sally starring Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan.   The mere mention of the movie brings back the scene in the deli between Harry and Sally. I don’t think I need to go any further explaining that scene, if you have seen the movie you will know what I am talking about.  If you haven’t seen the movie well then RENT THE MOVIE or Download it from Netflix or buy it at Amazon.com.  Just watch it. It’s a classic. 

This book is a little of this and that.  The beginning is spent talking about growing up with parents who both were writers. Who wrote the Play take her She’s Mine and Carousel.  Unfortunately they became alcoholics and the family home life became a disaster.  I found it interesting how she described her parents as one day they were not alcoholics and the next day they were.  All her sisters are writers.  Maybe it’s genetic being a writer I mean not being sisters that is genetic.

She talks about her days at Newsweek and the Post and she talks about her marriages and divorces.  It seems like the marriage and divorce that most impacted her was number two to Carl Bernstein.  Yes she knew who Deep Throat was and actually told people but they really didn’t believe her.

One thing she said that really made me pause was that as a writer she hoped to write something profound and she said she didn’t.  Maybe what she wrote wasn’t profound but a lot was certainly memorable.  I really enjoyed reading this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment